Re: [microsound] Rolywholyover-A Circus. A Book.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tyler Gillies" <unknowing9@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <microsound@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, October 23, 2003 10:10 PM
Subject: [microsound] Rolywholyover-A Circus. A Book.

> I've been reading a bit about Cage's Circus for Museum,
> Rolywholyover.  I understand that a book of the same name was
> published in accompaniment to the circus, but I can't find much
> information on the contents of the book. It is described by
> Powells.com as:
> Flat metal box containing loose, ephemeral sheets of text, photos,
> illustrations, pamphlets and art of differing shapes and sizes.
>
> Have any of you spent considerable time with this book? If so, I'd
> love to hear more about its contents.  Of course, the best way for me
> to find out about its contents is to purchase a copy for myself, but
> I'm not sure I've got the cash to spend.

hi

it used to belong to the library (in a big national exhibition space) i once
worked for.
however, i cannot say i spent a 'considerable amount of time with this
book'. obviously
i went to and fro through its contents, also actually reading some of the
texts, i remember
famous culinary recipes were there. but it's just seemed too mindboggling to
go through
everything carefully. it's a really beautiful edition and probably rare and
expensive, tho
i've seen it allegedly being sold for about 75 bucks on the net.
this might help you a bit more than my memory:

http://www.arcanabooks.com/INVENTORY_interface/arcanainventory/music_page.as

(CAGE, JOHN). Cage, John. Russell Ferguson, Editor.. ROLYWHOLYOVER A CIRCUS.
New York & Los Angeles: Rizzoli International Publications & Museum of
Contemporary Art, 1993. First Edition. Oblong 4to. Silkscreened Aluminum
Box. Artist Monograph. As New/No Jacket - As Issued.np, loose printed
contents laid into an Aluminum Box. Designed by Catherine Lorenz. This is
the spirited exhibition catalogue for a huge traveling retrospective that
celebrated John Cage, his collaborators, influences, and influence on
twentieth Century culture. Composer, lecturer, musician, artist,
theoretician, Zen student, mycologist - all aspects of his life and art are
represented here in a patchwork quilt of texts and images jammed into a
sleek, mirror-like metal case. Every day in each of the show's venues (MOCA,
the Menil Collection, the Guggenheim, Art Tower Mito Contemporary Art Center
in Japan, and the Philadelphia Museum of Art) the art objects shifted in
placement and installation - a nod to Cage's pioneering use of chance, and
randomization as compositional elements. This catalogue/object functions
much the same way, with nearly fifty pieces of printed ephemera laid in,
with no hierarchical order. The primary texts here include; Paying Attention
by Anne d'Harnoncourt, nothingtoseeness by Julie Lazar, John Cage in the
Social Realm by Laura Kuhn, UNCAGEDWORDS by Joan Retallack, Cage and
Counting by Mark Swed, Anarchy by John Cage, An Autobiographical Statement
by John Cage, Macrobiotic Cooking by John Cage, The Agenbite of Outwit by
Marshall McLuhan, What Should I Eat? by Andrew Weil, M. D., Chronological
Table of John Cage's Life by Ellsworth Snyder, Zen and Dhyana by Daisetz T.
Suzuki, The Dancer and the Dance by Merce Cunningham in conversation with
Jacqueline Lesschaeve, and The Director's Forward by Richard T.Koshalek of
MOCA. Artists' work in the show (but not necessarily in the catalogue)
included Cage, Josef Albers, Antonin Arthaud, Joseph Beuys, George Brecht,
William S. Burroughs, Joseph Cornell, Willem De Kooning, Maya Deren, Jean
Dubuffet, Marcel Duchamp, Buckminster Fuller, Allen Ginsberg, Arshile Gorky,
Peter Greenaway, Richard Hamilton, Jasper Johns, Allan Kaprow, Ellsworth
Kelly, Yves Klein, Franz Kline, Sol Lewitt, Kasimir Malevich, Robert
Motherwell, Barnett Newman, Isamu Noguchi, Yoko Ono, Nam June Paik, Harry
Partch, Robert Rauschenberg, Man Ray, Ad Reinhardt, Mark Rothko, Robert
Ryman, Erik Satie, Jean Tinguely, David Tudor, Cy Twombly, Edgar Varese, La
Monte Young, and many, many others. A beautiful copy of this cleverly
designed book/object. 0847817725 Book Number: 001426

$ 95.00    order/inquire

anyway i can always go to my old workplace and research it a bit more

best