Re: [microsound] the politics of open-source (was: PD Linux audio workshops

------=_NextPart_000_5C97_01C3A113.7B185A70

I find that, for me, the major barrier to using more open source
software is accessibility. Given that I don't have a programming
background, I don't really know all that much about using compilers, and
it's hard for me to use software that requires the use of a compiler for
installation. If something goes wrong with the compilation, I usually
just have to delete everything, as I have no idea how to fix it.

Open-source software also tends to presume a high level of computer
knowledge to which not everyone has access. And unfortunately, there is
a not a lot of open-source software available that does the kinds of
things I want to do.

I do use some OS stuff, like PD and Csound, but given my level of
computer-savviness, I'm limited in how much OS stuff I can make use of.
If you know about more OS audio software for OS X, I'd love to hear
about it. And yes, I already know about Audacity. It's a great app, but
needs to become more stable before I can use it more.

Phil