Re: [microsound] Re: tools

Yes, I have to second that question.

If there is no distinction between tool/medium, there is "now" for the "tool
is now the message," as there is no difference, no time, no past from
"message" to "tool," no assessment of change, nor even a shift in dominance,
predominance, or emphasis. If we have undertaken a shift of signifiers that
has no force, has a shift occurred at all, or only an empty mantra, a
proclamation from the wind?

If the tool and the medium are 'intersecting sets', then to assess
difference they are also unequivocal sets, and perhaps, closed sets, which
would be a difficult proposition to hold. An impossible one. Which would
signal the commencement (already underway) of a difference that has yet to
be drawn to an understanding, if this is possible, as the sets would by
necessity remain open, to allow for the difference between them (the gap
where the sets cannot and will not ever meet, even if this gap remains
graphical, in the signifier 'itself').

First question: what are the differing elements (given our presupposition of
'sets' of meaning for each sign) between tool and medium, give that there is
no 'distinction'?

tV