Re: [microsound] tools

> i would still consider the tool and the medium the same.
> architecture is interesting because architecture could be seen as the
> message or as you imply the medium.
> music on the other hand is certainly the message. and the tools laptop,
> software, piano... the medium.
> the last decade or so, perhaps, in many cases has undone McLuhan's "the
> medium is the message." in which case all of this is irrelevant.

Actually, I would tend to extrapolate the opposite. The last decade has
advanced a system of digital networking incomparable in human history, which
has changed not the content of our history--we are still at war, still
fucking, still eating--but rather the force and reach of its circulation,
refraction, and as Baudrillard notes, reflection. That this is coming to
suddenly undermine what we supposed as 'content'--for example, what is
_electronic music_, today?--is a material force. From CDs to MP3s and DVDs.

The next Immediatism column in e|I magazine issue 3 is approaching a few
thoughts on all of this.

tV

tobias c. van Veen -----------
http://www.quadrantcrossing.org