Re: [microsound] Buy Nothing Day? - [Authoritarianism in Adbusters... The Authors and the -Ism]

I like Buy Nothing Day.

But here are some questions to pose to Adbusters:

http://www.quadrantcrossing.org/blog
http://www.quadrantcrossing.org/blog/C277523597/E283721992/index.html

[Authoritarianism in Adbusters... The Authors and the -Ism]

"Adbusters sprouts from my hometown of Vancouver, and I=B9ve watched=8B&
subscribed to=8Bits culture jamming rag for several years. Every year, I
approach within millimetres of unsubscribing from this glossy epic. The
reasons are varied, and usually to do with a heavy-handed bluntness to thei=
jams, a simplification of issues, or more generally, a lack of meditative
and critical content in favour of neverending copies of pharmaceutical and
weapons advertisements and poorly-researched rants against =8Cpostmodernists=B9
another like ilk. Not enough adbusting, not enough perspectives on
adbusting, not enough tactics, I find Adbusters to be wearing thin on havin=
something to say beyond cynical, angry, rants that are ironically trying to
be unironically passionate, if not romantic, in an age of commercially
produced nostalgia for times that never were, those easy days of life.
Adbusters has many authors, but over the past few issues, it has a
self-asserted authority that is beginning to mirror the object of its
attacks: authoritarianism."

- tV