Re: [microsound] matthew herbert big band/ manifesto of mistakes

Hi all,

for the list's sake, I thought I would reproduce Herbert's manifesto
here, below. When everything is said and done, it is just a digital
music version of the DOGMA manifesto which turned the film industry all
around, and also a bit of Erik Salvaggio's net.art manifesto which
caused a bit of discussion on the Rhizome list last year [my favorite
rule: "No Flash"], and inspired quite a few interesting projects as a
result.

A recent documentary on DOGMA figurehead Lars von Trier shows him
offerring more and more "debilitating" challenges to the film director
who shaped his sensibilities most as a youth. As the documentary
progresses, and von Trier's restrictions become more and more extreme,
the works which his idol returns to him become more and more beautiful,
more and more refined. Lars becomes irate, as he had hoped to humiliate
his childhood hero, and in the end becomes humiliated himself when his
own regime of handicaps only heightens the skills of his victim.

In light of this, after reading this "contract", I appreciate the spirit
of it quite a bit. It could have something to do with the abominable
performance of Dutchboy group Di-fuse last night after Sachiko M at
STEIM. I am sure you all have heard the "male choir" and "female choir"
voices of most keyboard synthesizers. Well, they used them, along with
every cliche ambient sample that ever cropped up on any Acid Planet
loops CDROM, all shoved through the most cripple-headed program I have
seen on the market yet: Abelton Live. So pushing one's self to personal
innovation can't always be a bad thing.

It also brings me back to the reason I started working with Pure Data in
the first place: I didn't want to use anybody else's sounds, nor their
idea of how sounds should be used, nor their ready-made synthesizers or
patches, nor even their idea of how I should graphically interface with
said synth or patch. If I spend all week making a granular synthesis
patch from scratch which I honestly beleive to be my own [no matter if I
borrow tricks from others],  I am much more satisfied than by messing
with the default settings of some commerically available one. It is the
thing that seperates the user/consumer from the artist, for me.

So, no matter how lame his style, I still gotta give credit to our old
friend RadioBoy for at least trying to map out, in some sort of way,
what really does make for innovation in technological music.

As for whether it is really debilitating or not, it is clear Herbert
doesn't see this as anything more than a set of guidelines. Like Brian
Eno's "Oblique Strategies" cards, or playing your new track for someone
who you know will hate it.

Or, more esoterically: "if you meet the Buddha on the road to
enlightenment--kill him."

best,
d.

Matthew Herbert wrote:

PERSONAL CONTRACT FOR THE COMPOSITION OF MUSIC
[INCORPORATING THE MANIFESTO OF MISTAKES]

THIS IS A GUIDE FOR MY OWN WORK AND NOT INTENDED AS THE CORRECT OR ONLY
WAY TO WRITE MUSIC EITHER FOR MYSELF OR OTHERS.

1. The use of sounds that exist already is not allowed. Subject to
article 2. In particular:

    1. No drum machines.
    2. All keyboard sounds must be edited in some way: no factory
presets or pre-programmed patches are allowed.

2. Only sounds that are generated at the start of the compositional
process or taken from the artist's own previously unused archive are
available for sampling.

3. The sampling of other people's music is strictly forbidden.

4. No replication of traditional acoustic instruments is allowed where
the financial and physical possibility of using the real ones exists.

5. The inclusion, development, propagation, existence, replication,
acknowledgement, rights, patterns and beauty of what are commonly known
as accidents, is encouraged. Furthermore, they have equal rights within
the composition as deliberate, conscious, or premeditated compositional
actions or decisions.

6. The mixing desk is not to be reset before the start of a new track in
order to apply a random eq and fx setting across the new sounds. Once
the ordering and recording of the music has begun, the desk may be used
as normal.

7. All fx settings must be edited: no factory preset or pre-programmed
patches are allowed.

8. Samples themselves are not to be truncated from the rear. Revealing
parts of the recording are invariably stored there.

9. A notation of sounds used to be taken and made public.

10. A list of technical equipment used to be made public.

11. optional: Remixes should be completed using only the sounds provided
by the original artist including any packaging the media was provided in.

MATTHEW HERBERT 27-11-00
updated 05-06-03