Re: [microsound] matthew herbert big band/ manifesto of mistakes

some would argue we're using 'someone' else's laws of physics as well:)

besides, i'm not sure originality has much to do with this illusion 'pure'
authorship. look at (good) hip hop. look at akufen. emergency broadcast
network. or any other artists who work in with samples, collage, pastiche.
the artristry, the innovation and the originality lie in recombinance. i
mean no one would ever accuse a sculpturer for using granite or marble or
some other readility available raw material as 'source material.' even at
the digital level, the ones and zeros of composition, could be equated to
elements, hydrogen, helium, carbon... creating molecular models using those
elements, which adhere to the laws of physics (the analogy here being a
patch or a model with a programme or synthesizer) no one would doubt the
creativity, innovation or originality.  think of csound or a synth as its
own microuniverse, with its own 'physical' laws.

ultimately, though, these are all just tools for getting sounds. some are
or more suited than others of certain sounds. if i wanted to lay a kazoo
track down i'd get a kazoo.

g.