Re: [microsound] re: 7econds - new microsound project

> > Scott seemed to be extending the concept of the "NBC" 3 tone micro-theme
> > already long used on radio. His leap, as I read it, was a single
> > distinctive sound can be more effective and efficient yet have the same
> > function as an identifying signature melody.
> >

>  Someone once informed me that the 3 notes are'G,E,C' from when the network
> was owned by General Electric Company.

Technically they were one of the corporate trust players with an
interest in RCA in the 20s which begat subsidy NBC but RCA also soon
became for most intents independent. It wasn't until '85 when they owned NBC

But you do bring up a good issue. The fact that you generally select
from 7 tones (out of 12 possible and considering octave info) as you
play "I can name that tune in X notes" games means as you get more
reductive you have more coincidental possibilities simply because of
finite combinations.

So Scott was probably thinking about that in focusing purely on unique
timbre. Being both shorter and  electronic, decreased coincidences.
You'd need neither 7 tones or for that let alone 7 seconds to hopefully
associate that sonic logo if it was indeed distinctive.