[microsound] re: 'Code as Art' Digest [from the PD-List]

It is kind of a strange feeling since I've been some sort of
friend/fellow student/coworker with John Simon for like a decade and a
half. When I had a New Media lecture series for illustration majors @
Parsons back in '95 or so he was one of the guests we devoted a lecture
to so I guess I was a bit ahead of the curve.

Anyway so much for the name dropping, my point of view is code is best
thought of as a means of enabling. I for the most part cringe at all
sorts of for all real intents semantic debates on is it a medium? is it
a tool? but I acknowledge some people feel inspired by this sort of discourse/debate.

Now what I feel is simply a bad thing is the possible tendency for some
to start discriminating on the  basis of code content. That a work is
somehow elite because it was coded by the artist or something dismissed
because of some software package being utilized or not. I do see a
negative connection with Modernism where the aspects newness become more
crucial than the actual content of the work.

nick
http://www.artskool.biz/jem/ndkent/