Re: [microsound] SCREAM Festival?

At 1:26 PM -0800 12/2/03, D. Jean Hester wrote:
Anyone go to the SCREAM Festival last night, at Redcat?

I thought the loudspeakers were mounted too high.

I also thought the price of admission was high.

I liked Tom Flaherty's piece the best - just him, his cello, and his PowerBook. Mostly live sampling and processing of the cello sounds (with a few sounds pre-sampled) using Max/MSP.

Carl Stone's was his usual adroit interweaving of sampled materials. Good sonic imagination and handling of the performance system (again, Max/MSP), but I personally prefer some of his earlier work where the sources were more readily identifiable.

I won't comment on the rest, except to say that I thought all the pieces were well made and well executed but that some of them had a sound palette that seemed a bit dated.

Most pieces went well enough, though the trombone piece had to be reconceived on the spot due to a flakey pitch to MIDI interface and Mark Trayle had a minor restart due to a bad audio connection.