[microsound] Re: micro-publics

>Given that the kind of work that we do, either online or off, doesn't
>tend to have a large public, do people ever get weary of doing stuff? Do
>people ever get frustrated by the lack of response to their work? If so,
>(how) do you find the strength to carry on? How have people changed
>their work, if at all, in order to increase its impact and the amount of
>response it generates?
>
>[I ask this as I ponder shutting down the weblabel I've run for the last
>year because of what appears to be a lack of interest on the part of
>both artists and audiences. Have other people had similar experiences?
>I'd be interested to compare notes.]

I wanted to add my two cents to this as well. Having run Stasisfield.com for almost two years now, I've seen my site go through a lot of ups and downs in terms of audience. Back when I had so-called "unlimited" web space, I was able to release music at a decent rate to maintain interest (usually two releases per month).

And using this list (and others) as a promotional tool has helped immensely (to also add to the recent "why is there so much promotion on this list?" thread). Without being able to promote releases on lists, there would essentially be no audience -- even during my most well-visited periods, I haven't had that many people subscribe to the site's mailing list. I know there are more people visiting than have subscribed, and it's probably a catch-22 situation ("why should I subscribe when I get the announcements on the microsound list?" etc.).

Ever since I was forced to switch to a new ISP for my site (which has a significantly smaller storage space allotment), I've been unable to release things as often...it's gotten to the point where I'll have to start removing releases a few at a time to make room for more. I've had to begin releasing CDR archives of the Stasisfield releases, just so I can still allow the music to be obtained for a relatively low price.

But as I've slowed down releases, there has been a significant decrease in audience. I had hoped that the Audible Still-Life project, which involves a great group of artists both well-known (Steve Roden, John Hudak, Hal Rammel, etc.) and relatively unknown (but most of whom would be familiar to my label's audience) would have generated quite a bit of interest -- but traffic to that project's site has dwindled considerably since its launch. It's been disheartening to be sure, and honestly within the last month I've seriously considered a shut-down myself.

I hope it's just going to take time to keep building (and maintaining) an audience. That's about all I can hope for, I think. Working on the site is infinitely more rewarding when I know people are visiting; but I truly love doing it, and for now I know I can't give it up anytime soon.

And until I can afford some decent print promotion, I'll be stuck using the internet to promote it. ;-)

john kannenberg

[ http://www.stasisfield.com ]

[ http://www.whistlingpariah.com ]

-----

OUT NOW:

> The Audible Still-Life

CDR compilation + online exhibition of interdisciplinary works derived from still-life featuring:

Glenn Bach / Jeremy Boyle / John Hudak / i+o / Neil Jendon / John Kannenberg / koura / Mou, Lips! / Jon Mueller / Plank / Hal Rammel / Trace Reddell / Steve Roden / Sawako / Schoenecker / Malte Steiner

vist the exhibition:

[ http://www.stasisfield.com/space/still-life/index.html ]

> Stasisfield : Year 01

- A CDR compilation of our first year of releases featuring nearly 10 hours of digital music and video with 25 minutes of previously unreleased material

- Reviews :

[ http://www.paristransatlantic.com/magazine/monthly2003/03mar_text.htm#1 ]
[ http://ampersandetc.virtualave.net/ampv2003_g.html ]