[microsound] Re: micro-publics

Phil---
Given that the kind of work that we do, either online or off, doesn't
tend to have a large public, do people ever get weary of doing stuff? Do
people ever get frustrated by the lack of response to their work? If so,
(how) do you find the strength to carry on? How have people changed
their work, if at all, in order to increase its impact and the amount of
response it generates?

[I ask this as I ponder shutting down the weblabel I've run for the last
year because of what appears to be a lack of interest on the part of
both artists and audiences. Have other people had similar experiences?
I'd be interested to compare notes.]
Hi this is Jon Vaughn from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. You may know me from No Type.com or Slapart.com or notype.com/nishi, or from Holzkopf. Or not. I would like to respond to your text here.

I have been doing experimental shit of various kinds (mostly sound & performance) here on the prairies for at least 5 years seriously. Yah, I have had two people at a show before & 200 at another. And the question after a while becomes--how do i communicate with people & get better (more) feedback, etc.Yah, I can relate to your feelings here, man. :)
After a while one of the problems seemed to be the pure abstraction thing. I needed more content, more points of reference (especially popular and/or *local*), and more recognizable forms or sounds in which I could *seduce* an audience. Now, one of my solutions since the summer of 2001 (the year i first experienced mutek & more importantly --the dancy *real* minimalism of kompakt) has been dj'ing. This has changed everything a whole lot. I am even playing outdoor raves now I fucking loving it--what affetionate & exciting communities!!--they actually support eachother! (well, except for the dj's!) --there really are no clubs here *anymore* for anything but top40 (even the gay glub only plays top40 and anthems). Although I respect that not everyone wants to dj, and play dancy stuff (although you don't have to--you can get a way with a lot for even just putting yourself under the guise of 'dj'--and playing in club/rave/dj contexts--if you can get in), especially if you live in montreal or vancouver--cuz there is lots of people doing it already, and probably better cuz they've been doing it for a long time.

In Saskatchewan, the last time electronic music attracted more people than 100 people to a show (with the exception of DIGIDOME which i will talk about later on), was in the days of raves, notably the *plastic puppet motive*, a revolutionary club & collective that hosted some of the first 'lectro parties of the prairies. During those days (mid-late 90s) this phenomenon seemed too big and I was close-minded to it, and really hated the music (except for the jungle & drum b bass--that was ok--although now i can barely stand it--ekk!) ... i just wanted my stupid noise rock shit. SO years later, After being exposed to kompakt & mutek, etc.etc. etc.(and in the last year or so, bpitch control! ye-ah!!), already being a insanely fanatical about minimalism in general, it suddenly *clicked* for me, I liked minimal dance music! & i loved the crowd!!!(i talked to & met way more people (& friendly people) at mutek than victo!--I expected the opposite) and previous to that, one night after a frustrating performance that i did in my drama class in university, i felt so betrayed by the lack of communication i seemed to be experiencing when i gave my 'cut-up' performance in which I had spliced together a bunch of texts making no sense,etc...when i got home...for some reason...i had the urge to listen to britney spears...it was just in my head..and i couldn't get it out....in 2001 the song was 'stronger'...so i checked it out--and have not been the same since. Needless to say, it was 'healing'!! Now, I realize that britney and dance music is not for everyone--especially the people on this list!--but I offer it as an example of how I emerged from self-referencial abstraction and into a work that was still experimental, but worked with things that other people knew and saw, often on an everyday basis. Now, I realize, you might be like: BIG FUCKING DEAL!!!!! what the fuck is new about this? Sure, valid point, but the other point I am trying to make is that i was hiding behind abstraction (and earlier on, angst). It was not until I opened up & sang a song, or to danced to a funky beat with lots of people or alone on the dance floor--that i really felt vulrenable & like I was taking a risk--and when people see that you are vulrenable too--there is a possibility that they won't be as ignorent or non-impressed or non-interested in what your work, they open up to you when they see evidence that you share their world...--and then you feed em the noise!!!!! whoop-pish (crack o' the whip!) haha just kidding (yes & no). Any ways... I think CONTENT is really important...and working with reference points for people. obviously jim o'rourke & john zorn are examples of people that are 'dealing' with these problems in creative & fun ways too...my apologies for the all-too-popular avant garde references...so not suitable for this list ;) .

.... and my 3rd point is to respond to what the other person said, Claudio, in that it's importnat for us audio artists to collaborate, especially with people & things that are don't do audio, or who are not audio (or even human--or at least--not male!![in our cases, phil]) Recently in my Montreal performance at my CD launch with No Type at the Rien-a-Voir festival sub-series, Prerien, my collaborator(Max Haiven from halifax) and I, included many non-electronic, and even non-sound elements into our performance--keeping in mind the festival's mandate that their is 'nothing-to-see'..but played with that to a very high extant. We began the performance with Max playing field rec from a forest with spooky horror-esque music very quiet--and i *crawled* (*Ringu* style--like that chick when she comes out of the tv and gets ya!) down the the stairs to the theatre floor--with a blanket over me--head first--really slow...(remember there's nothing to see--even for me!) this was highly enjoyable for me & i tried to communicate the pastiche-horror-suspence of the music--keeping it from remaining an pure abstraction...and we did other things as well like write letters (that non one saw--remember nothing to see), strangle a turntable with rope (kill sound before it kills you! haha), drop things (by accident--oops was that a glitch?), and toped it off by *singing* the liner notes from our cd --ballad style--without microphones-- a highly silly but *benevolent* gesture & ending to a really spooky (or stupid for some i don't know) performance. I don't know what most people thought that weren't our close friends--but they definately will not forget soon---as Montreal concert go-ers are often subject to amnesia & apathy due to the number of shows that take place on a daily basis.

Yah, so use visuals-it helps. use your body-it helps. use your voice-it helps. & don't be afraid to use narrative sometimes--i have definately been afraid to for too many years. narratives don't have to make sense or sound nice, also---ALSO--to reference the old rave days again, hosting events in weird or unlikely spaces helps too. Last year I co-programmed & coordinated an audio_visual event with local artist-run centre, Paved art & new media, entitled DIGIDOME--and yah, it took place in a Golf Dome--with five video projections onto the dome itself & on separate screens--it was wild!!! that sure attracted the public's attention a bit. :)

So yah, these are the words of someone who has been trying to do experimental shit in SASKATOON -SASKATCHEWAN of all places. And I'm still kickin'. This summer I am co-programming & performing at the *unofficial* sequal to Digidome (not in a dome this time)called Phantom Power in------NORTH BAY, Ontario!!! Talk about outreach--ya-ah!! My advice is that if you are not getting the reaction (or any reaction) from your audiences that you desire--than don't be afraid to jepordize your work--put it in a state in which even ---the microsound list--- might not know what to think of it...find out what you are ashamed of...or what other's are...or what you are afraid to like---if anything...cross the bounderies between music & non-music--whatever that may be.. find out what other people who don't come to your shows like--try to work with OTHER peoples tastes---like source material!!!!! work with artist-run centres---there are so many in Van! (sorry if you already do) work in different spaces---unlikely spaces, etc. appropriate & transform, etc. (fade out into artspeak..)
BUT--you know *all* of this already---you're a master's student in fine art---you're very intelligent--maybe you should be dumb instead? or do bad art? when all else fails---think of WARHOL!!!
don't forget humour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or as the 'guide to performance art' tells us: when all else fails--just take off your clothes!!!!! ;P

& about your web-label--don't shut it down!!! i have been working on a submission to it for 2 years!!! (sorry I have never told you)--and guess what--(i'm not lying)--it's called "public"!!!!! and practicly about what we are talking about here... weeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd!!!!!! .... there seems to be an excess of web labels out there--but it will decrease. or at least be threatened--cuz as david turgeon notified the notypers recently--'the age of free server space is over!!!' .. . . . . try to envolve your physical community in your weblabel...why not make little hand-bills for it with new releases mentioned, etc... that is what i am going to do my partner carrie gates' & I's web label --oops, sorry that's another topic, another email, --so it's back to the grindhouse for jon!

p.s. please accept this email with the consideration that it is meant with the ut-most benevolence, i am not trying to tell you what to do or how to do, just offering suggestions based on my own experiences with a very similar problem to yours.

aufweidersehn!

jon vaughn