Re: [microsound] Looking for articles about music & technology. Also digital music and education.

> hello everyone,
>
> I need to find a couple of articles about music & technology with a
specific
> focus on teaching. I would love to find articles on teaching music through
> technology/computers to elementary school children, but so far I have come
> up with very little. I have come across a few speculative articles but
> nothing that is scholarly or academic. The reason I am asking is I need to
> write a paper on some aspect of music with a teaching theme for a
University
> music curriculum course and seeing I am embedded in this
> electronic/microsound... music i thought I should find something suitable.
>
> If you have any ideas or can point me in an appropriate direction I would
> really appreciate it.

Hello, S. Arden Hill,
I know the Amsterdam Centre For Electronic Music (http://www.cemstudio.com/)
runs a couple of projects to get childeren involved with electronic
composing. They let the childeren record sounds form their environment to
minidisk, manipulate those with a few converted boss pedals  and combine
them in the computer. I think that afterwards the results are mixed down by
sound artist Aarno Peters (sp@sm, etc.). These projects have a webpage at
http://www.kakawee.kennisnet.nl/ but unfortunately for you this page is in
dutch only (it has a few pictures you might find somewhat interesting as
they show childeren bussy manipulating sounds in the classroom). They are
however nice people who might be willing to discuss their projects through
email or point you to english resources at  kakawee@xxxxxxxxxxxxx .

Perhaps also of interest is hyperscore, a MIT project that atempts to
provide a sequencer for childeren. Despite all the nice colours and shapes I
myself found it unworkable but then again I'm not realy the target audience.
Adult composers might still like it's ability to output to realtime midi
through painting shapes and colours. (which is why i'm replying through the
list)http://www.media.mit.edu/hyperins/ToySymphony/musictoysscore.html

Perhaps not the papers you were looking for but at least these are some
pointers....

Good luck,
Kassen.

dangerous content by email-mx.mine.nu, and is
believed to be clean.