Re: Re: [microsound] re: wrong kiosk .. list on the exhibition

I have to say I agree with you Julian - the boundaries of sound art and music are too blurred to make heavy distinctions... so many techniques, formal aesthetic and conceptual have been pioneered by artists and musifcians alike, and incorporated into both visual and sonic arts. There's often an attitude in sound art discourse that somehow sound art stands above and beyond 'music' - most of the time, sound art that makes lengths to define itself as sound art is often the most uninspoiring and non innovative sound (for me anyway). A lot of the sounds I produce end up in musical forms and structures, this is a language I find very effective speaking - tho my interests and inspiration often comes from sound art, visual arts and the various discourses within.... its cross pollination, as art forms become more blurred, some are trying to grab on tight to some definition of what art is, and how it is different from everything else, even when it co-opts and absorbs other forms - you know, it
still has to be art, and its not music, its not theatre, its not cinema blkah blah blah... Im actually excited to see boundaries collapse between these forms - of courser there will always be art that is art, and music that is just music, and cinema that is just cinema - buit those grey areas are a lot more interesting to me, swingin back and forth.... but maybe Im just a genre whore...

peas

EjEss