Re: [microsound] Samples and Beets cds

> Hi there all
> was wondering what everyone's pinions were on the use of sample and beats
> cds to make music.

After a couple of years of using synthesis exclusively i've been
experimenting with samples, mostly of acoustic instruments, breathing, etc.
I find you can find very rich textures that would be time consuming to make
synthetically and by combining those in my sampler with the Nord Modular I
can achieve about as much controll over them as I can over synthesis. Since
I'm only interested in the timbre as a basis for new sounds and my record/CD
colection spans a wide range of styles and instruments I have no need for
ready made CDs. Actually I find the process of looking for sounds or trying
out unusual miking techniques on my small colection of accoustic instruments
adds to The Process. The hunt for just the right violin note that doesn't
overlap with other sounds and then changing it into a ambient backing for a
track is quite enjoyable.

Using a ready made drum loop feels like cheating to me, it's too close to
"auto-pilot music". Besides, those CDs are expensive, I'd rather get a nice
pedal or something for that price, even downloading them illegaly as some of
my friends do seems too expensive. After all, I hear these things span
complete DVDs these days and I'm not sacrificing that much bandwith for one
or two textures or somebody else's rithem programing.

The whole concept of creating something from scratch, having full controll
over the whole process greatly apeals to me and the aditude that seems to
lie behind sample CDs seems at odds with that process. I can respect turning
some sample into something completely different, be it by manipulation or by
radically changing the context but I fail to see how the whole "paint by
numbers" additude those CDs seem aimed at can apeal to anyone.

Kas.

dangerous content by email-mx.mine.nu, and is
believed to be clean.