[microsound] Re: shameless self-promotion: some of my musical tracks =?unknown?q?=28in?= reply to =?unknown?q?Bj=F6rn=29?=

Hello, tis I, Curtis. I have some answers for you, Björn. And some babbling (but you can skip the babbling parts if you wish ;)  )

The equipment I use: Absynth 1.3 and Absynth 2.0, Tuareg was a major help for "Freq1."
 Acid Pro 4.0 is usually the sequencer, I use Metasynth on my Mac to create some weird sounds (which I then export the sounds to .aiff... and then use my portable hard drive to bring them over to my Compaq, and I usually make music that I believe is somewhat like "Musique Concrete" with those metasynth sounds. , I also use "Metaphysical Function" which is a Native Instruments members-only download. Metaphysical Function was the program that I used to make HD49674. After recording it, I eq'd and mastered it heavily (since some areas were very loud and clipped in some places, while some places i deemed too quiet).

I use Cool Edit 2.0 for some EQ'ing as well as Sonic Foundry's Sound Forge 6.0 for EQ'ing as well. Yes, I have 2 mastering/eq'ing programs. I don't know why, I guess sometimes I feel I can do one thing easier in one of them that I can't do so easy  in the other.

I also use a lot of freeware/shareware apps and/or plug-ins. The plug-ins I usually download to use in Acid Pro 4.0. I usually do not remember all of the little freeware/shareware programs, cuz after I make all the sounds I want, I usually forget where I placed the program, and if I ever do find it, I usually delete cuz I've moved on to better programs, I guess.

I am not afraid to use loops when I have to, but of course, I splice them up so the track does not get boring. That would be a reference to "Get Out of My Head." I get tired of rhythmical tracks when the rhythm just repeats and repeats too much. It's ok if there is repetition if it is interesting somehow. To me, some repetition can be dull and boring, while some can be very interesting. It just depends on how the repetition is used. I love repetition in Minimalism. But if I hear a rock song or anything that just repeats the rhythm for too long without any transition, I get bored of it easily.

I don't like to stick with one kind of music. After a while I try to find a different kind of aesthetic to focus on...or a different kind of style or tricks to focus on. I just like being eclectic, I guess...cuz I usually see being eclectic as being able to adapt or evolve. Eclectic people, I believe, are able to make new genres or are able to redefine an older kind of style. Ok, I've babbled on too much. Mixed too much of my personal musical philosophy with my answers to your questions... lol.

Ok, well, if I hope I answered your questions :) You can always email me back with more, if you want.
-Curtis D. Cousins