[microsound] Re: Metal Machine Music

From: Philip Curtis <pcurt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Thinking more of this of this "no input mixing board"
issue and historical uses, I'm wondering if Lou Reed's
"Metal Machine Music" didn't use this? What info I can
find seems to suggest it was just mic/guitar feedback,
but who knows... (another one of those pieces I've
heard a lot about but never heard, or maybe only
briefly). Anyone know?

There was a good article about the making of that album in some zine several years ago and I think it was online at one point. As far as I remember it was mostly guitar feedback but run through tons of effects pedals (lots of trememlo and fuzz) and multiple amps. Then I think there was a lot of layering of tapes in the studio, possibly the same recording layered on top of itself forward and backwards so the different sides of the album are mirror images (not sure if that part is true). So, it's not really related to the no-input idea but what a great album! Pick it up if you have a chance and are at all interested in noise and "minimalism". It's like the rock & roll Terry Riley ? Persian Surgery Dervishes through a wall of Marshalls.

Dream of owning a home? Find out how in the First-time Home Buying Guide. http://special.msn.com/home/firsthome.armx