Re: [microsound] no input mixing board

Yeah, my mixing board has a couple of auxiliary fx loops, and I've gotten some not so bad results with running the feedback through there. However, with using delay effects like that, I've found it really hard to control as you can imagine. What is useful is if you have a delay that does infinite loops, and you can just kind of quickly turn it on and grab snippets of what you were doing on the no-input mixer, and let them loop. My delay will infinitely loop things and it lets me keep adding loop layers where the previous one decays. This lets me do improv pieces that just keep evolving. As far as outboard effects, I have been processing the no-input mixer in real time on my laptop, which I already mentioned. And I get great results with granulated rhythms and what not. The other guy I work with has been doing about the same thing except running mixing board feedback into an old analog delay rack and into his Kaoss Pad. And he also gets a feed from my laptop where he processes that from which I'm also processing a feed from him along with my no-input mixing board. Yeah, maximum feedback goodness. And we do all of this improvisation together under the moniker of Rabbit Part Zen. We just started this project, so watch out for it in the future. (end of gratuitous plug for new musick project disguised as innocent discussion).

Greg

--- "tomoroh hidari stummer" <hidari@xxxxxxx> wrote:
thanx to all discussing the no-input mixing board, after my (co-?)inciting questions about it.
i found a lot of interesting and inspiring information in this whole thread so far. please take it further...

since it seems there are so far only two pioneers to this technique, there is not yet a sort of "strict" or "general" set of rules. right?!

i wonder however, as to how far one could go, without leaving the field of working on a "pure" no-input mixing board", i.e. take outboard effects into the circuit, or work on boards with faulty contacts etc. to create hisses. (as actually that is the case with me... i got this old 4 tracker with 10 channel mixer, that can hum, hiss, etc. for hours sometimes...)

i borrowed the original toshimaru nakamura cd from my friend, and enjoyed it a lot. also been to his website and saw that he'll be playing here in vienna on march 4th. think i should go see him.

forever changing,
thost

'''

http://www.tomoroh.com/