[microsound] playing the no-input mixing board

> does anybody have some more info on "no-input mixing board"s?

>You have a mixer and cables plugged in but not connected to any
>instruments. The performers skin and what they touch or "short circuit"
>the cables with creates snap crackle pop and hum. I guess adding
>out>board FX is cheating but I'm sure some artists do.

i saw Toshimaru about one and half years ago maybe with, i think jason howe,
in a tiny side room to a jewish diner here in pittsbugh called platters,
toshimaru played his no input mixing board and jason (?) cymbol and
chopstick.  it was a really great show, subtle. i bought his weather sky
disk with keith rowe and it's quite interesting if you have a place quiet
enough to listen to it.

much like the no input mixing board i have been working with a amplifier in
the same manner, but also using pedals to enhance the sound.  all slight
tweeks of the knobs change the sound is very particular ways.  warning to
not do this if you value your amplifier, it destroyed mine and i think the
only reason it works at all is a electrical disturbance that i still have
yet been unable to find.  later, i tore the crate apart placed the reverb
unit and the speaker on the top of the metal console (the knob unit) and as
the speaker vibrates the reverb springs bounce and sound is produced.  i
like to fill the speaker with mustard seeds and record the random firing of
the seeds.  it reminds of the parachute filled with balls from elementary
school gym time.  chaotic, spastic, undeterministic.

steven