Re: [microsound] iTunes interface

On Fri, 2004-02-13 at 13:57, taylor deupree wrote:
> colin wrote in his piece, and maybe i'm misunderstanding him,.. but
> he said that he wished it wasn't alphabetical.. that he could
> organize songs by genre or other information... and i'm sure colin
> knows this (which is why i might be misinterpreting his complaint)
> but iTunes you can simply make the "genre" field visible and click it
> once and now your list of songs is sorted by genre.

I agree with you about iTunes and OS X, and I also use iTunes in the
same way.  At first I didn't like admitting it (I used to be a die-hard
open source advocate)

You can do amusing things with AppleScript and iTunes.  Someone
mentioned previously in the thread about software interfacing with other
software, and I just remembered that I wrote some Python scripts a few
months ago that let me control iTunes via a web browser:

http://alex.bash.sh/projects/include/files/webTunes.tar.gz

i would like to see expanded artwork and liner notes, lyrics, and
> information about labels, release dates, graphic designers and the
> like.. but in terms of overall usability i find iTunes to be simple,
> clean, and to-the-point without gratuitous eyecandy getting in the
> way.

You can do all these kinds of things with AppleScript, after a fashion.
I'm sure I did a version of those scripts that made links to lyrics.

Of course, after this exercise I realised that AppleScript is totally
insane!  Seriously, considering how most Apple fans often love Apple
products for their quirks, AppleScript is simply one giant quirk.

--
http://alex.bash.sh