[microsound] iTunes interface

i missed some of this thread about interfaces, and in particular, the iTunes interface,..but i read the posted essay and some followups..

IMHO, with some minor nagging bits, and the ongoing discussions about graphics, liner notes, and album art notwithstanding.. i think the iTunes interface is fantastic. it's simple, mostly text-based, and does not get in the way of my goals when using it.. which is quickly finding music and listening to it.

colin wrote in his piece, and maybe i'm misunderstanding him,.. but he said that he wished it wasn't alphabetical.. that he could organize songs by genre or other information... and i'm sure colin knows this (which is why i might be misinterpreting his complaint) but iTunes you can simply make the "genre" field visible and click it once and now your list of songs is sorted by genre.

personally, i don't use genres.. and my CD collection is organize alphabetically.. so iTunes' default way of working is incredible easy for me.

i would like to see expanded artwork and liner notes, lyrics, and information about labels, release dates, graphic designers and the like.. but in terms of overall usability i find iTunes to be simple, clean, and to-the-point without gratuitous eyecandy getting in the way.

i think one of apple's goals in general with OSX is to make the computing experience more transparent and simplified... which i think is a step in the right direction. we use computers as a means to an end and that end is more important than the means. if i want to listen to music, write music, read email, do label accounting, or design a cd sleeve i want the "computer" to be in the background while my energy focuses on the creative task at hand.

just some thoughts (after a sleepless night).. aye.

taylor