[microsound] ***new microsound project -- RNDTXT***

'RNDTXT' -- a data set microsound project

this project is based on a new kind of spam people are getting these
days...the use of random text embedded into an email is meant to confuse
spam email filters (Bayesian filters?)...I have been collecting spam for a
couple of years now (images and text) so I can use the content in my
projects...I consider any unsolicited spam sent to me as free to use/open
source content...

I took 4 or 5 months worth of spam that contained random text and
constructed a single text file containing all of it...

here are the stats on the text file:
- 17,332 words
- chars (sans spaces) 125,810
- chars (w/spaces) 143,187
- 145,270K in size

again, all of this was cut and pasted into a single document and uploaded to
the Hotline server. I didn't remove all line feeds (the file is stored in a
Unix format) so you might want to clean up if you need to remove the line
feeds...the words are all commonly found and used words in the English
language but don't forget that they are also ASCII and hence numbers
(integers 0-127 -- not counting special chars).

So you could consider this file one large data set which can be used in any
way you want. For example: use the text in a Ouilpo styled written work, use
the ASCII as numbers in a PD/MaxMSP patch, pour them into a text to speech
synthesizer or use them in Jitter or Flash or whatever you use to make
videos or graphics with.

This project is not constrained to being a music/sound project and is
focused primarily on using data sets to create artwork with. So when you
complete the piece make sure you put a suffix after the filename:
    - myPiece.mov
    - myText.txt
    - myPiece.html
    - myPiece.swf
    - myPiece.jpg
    - myPiece.mp3

some guidelines:

- upload finished work to the microsound hotline server for others to
hear/see
    [microsound hotline server: microsound.synthesizer.org
     also, see http://www.bigredh.com for downloading a PC/MacOS hotline
client]

***IMPORTANT *** - you must FIRST get a password from me (off-list please)
before you can upload/download files from the server and you have to be a
listmember in order to get this pswd...make sure you put 'hotline password'
in the subject header or you will be shuttled off to my spambox folder...

again, this invite is to microsound list members ONLY
I will put up the 'RNDTXT.txt' file in a folder on the microsound server
later today...

*get the file here-> path: "Uploads/RNDTXT project folder/rndtxt.txt"
*put your piece here -> path: "Uploads/RNDTXT project folder/myfolder"
    - remember to name your folder something unique and not 'myfolder"

the deadline for submissions (this means posting to the list that you have
uploaded a piece into the RNDTXT folder) is:

***March 1 2004***

some guidelines:
- post only 128kbps 44.1kHz stereo .mp3 audio files
- try to keep other sorts of files UNDER 1Mb in size
- first make a folder within the "Uploads/RNDTXT project folder" folder and
upload your finished work into there
- post to the list that you have uploaded your piece (include the name of
the piece)

- remember to include a short text file indicating how your piece made use
of the rndtxt file as well as what sort of license you want to grant to
others
    - consult and choose a license from the CreativeCommons website
    - include a graphic of the license type in your folder

*** FILENAMING CONVENTION ***
- use filetype suffixes in your filenames...such as "mynewpiece.mp3" or
"mycoolmovie.mov" or "myCoolMovie.qt" etc.
- DO NOT use spaces or non-alpha-numeric chars in filenames!!!
  - example of bad filename: "#my, #new, - #piece!.mp3"
  - example of good filename: "myNewPiece.mp3"
(sans quotes of course)

any questions please contact me off list:
<kim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>