Re: [microsound] DJ's: human jukeboxes?

unfortunately, the turntable has become the electric guitar of the 21st
century, in regards to the seemingly exponential proliferation of wankers (what
would be the 'NO STAIRWAY' music store sign of techno?).  the talent and
artistry of DJing is as equally distributed among DJs as it is any other
instrument or musician in the sense that only a select few are truly pushing
forward. 99% are still human jukeboxes, even if that jukebox has incorporated a
beat match function and the occasional toggle of the EQ, regardless of how good
their record collection is. ditto goes for laptopers.  i see maybe three or
four (if even) DJs a year that really impress me.  and i hear a lot of DJed
music. the rest is usually fun and interesting, but rarely transcendental or
sublime. but this rant has less to do with copyright than it does the
deterioration of the artform itself.

g.