[microsound] indie vs majors

> If my music has been licensed by some label, then
> they own the copyright of that recording (depending on the contract of
> course)
of course - as you said - it depends on the contract...many indie labels let
the artist keep the publishing (many have their own publishing entities)
while the label holds the mechanical rights to the material...
this is primarily because indie labels cannot afford to offer both a
publishing and recording deal to their artists nor do they have the
bandwidth (or contacts) to aggressively exploit the material for possible
music placement in TV and film...