Re: [microsound] public space vs McDisney

michael trommer wrote:

yes...north american cities have evolved around the &*&@# car.
i know it sounds despotic, but i think that in an ideal society private
cars would be banned... they're the direct and indirect cause of an
incredible number of bad things.

It's really a comment on human nature. Cars themselves aren't bad. They give us a previously unheard of level of personal freedom. But how do we use that freedom? We could just as easily drive to meet new people, or attend public events. It's just that most people drive to avoid the world between their couch and desk... One book I read had an anecdote that went something along the lines of, "What do you mean I never go to Compton? I drive through it every day on my way to work - going 75 miles an hour."

Rob

PS - I can't really criticise cars, I've never owned one, had a license, or driven a car more than a few feet...