Re: [microsound] Powerbook hard drive speed

I dunno, my Powerbook runs pretty hot with the standard
drive.  I think it could melt down with something that
generates more heat.  Either that or singe my lap.

Someone suggested the Firewire drive idea, and that's what I
do.  It works great.  I have an external 7200/8MB cache
drive that I use when I record or multitrack on the
Powerbook.  The internal drive is fine (for my use anyway)
when playing live using Ableton or even up to 10 audio
tracks from something like Cubase.

> Well I haven't done hardware professionally for years, but afaik there
> shouldn't be anything specifically apple about this.  Of course the
> normal notebook rules apply as far as dealing with fragile cables and
> connectors, and the normal computing rules apply as far as backing up
> your data.  But as for something powerbook specific?  Nothing I've heard
> of yet.  When I get around to doing the replacement, I'll post any
> interesting tidbits I discover.  In the meantime if anyone else beats me
> to it please post whatever cautions you may discover.
>
> Garrett wrote:
>
> > any reason to be concerned about putting one of these in a powerbook
> > specifically?  i guess i haven't heard about replacing pb drives very
> > often....
> >
> > On Mar 26, 2004, at 6:41 AM, sander-martijn wrote:
> >
> >> Whether firewire drives perform better or worse depends on a number
> >> of things including what other firewire devices are attached/being
> >> used - For me my slow internal powerbook drive benchmarks better than
> >> my faster firewire drive - this may have something to do with there
> >> being only one firewire port and i also have my m-audio 410 hooked up
> >> to it.  Your best bet is to replace the internal with this:
> >> HITACHI/IBM 2.5" 60GB 08K0939 NOTEBOOK HDD 9.5MM *7200RPM* 8 MB
> >> the best price I've seen for it is *$203.00 *and I think the shipping
> >> will run you another $10.  That's here:
> >> http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch.hmx?SCriteria=AA22680
> >>
> >> or if you don't mind sparing the 10GB you can double your cache and
> >> lower your cash (sorry ;)
> >> TOSHIBA 2.5 50GB MK5024GAY NOTEBOOK HARDDRIVE 7200RPM /16MB
> >> That's for $192 here:
> >> http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=AA25180
> >>
> >> There may be other options but these are the two I know of.
> >>
> >> One of these will definitely be my next upgrade.  Just have to hold
> >> off until after 4/15...
> >>
> >> .sander
> >> *
> >> *