Re: [microsound] Linux on Mac

Hello Jochen, hello .microsound,

The Expert wrote:

Due to the discussions on open source software and interface design I'm about to install LINUX on an APPLE Powerbook G3/500 (Pismo).

I for one am glad to see others trying this. In fact, here at Umatic in the Netherlands, we just finihsed with an artist-in-residency for French sound artist Yannick Dauby [more on this later!], and one of the many things that happened was a full install of Gentoo Linux of his Pismo Powerbook. I also have a Pismo with the same setup, so I can tell you that it *can* be done. A willingness to learn something new, and a willingness to go beyond the let's-just-push-colored-buttons-like-trained-primates phase of computer operation is a must. But you seem to indicate you are ready for that.

Let me answer these questions briefly, and perhaps then the discussion could move to a more on-topic list, such as Linux-Audio-Users, or privately as I have free time to answer ;-)

Questions arise:

1. Is it possible to re-partition the aforementioned hard drive area without touching the other areas (HFS+)? What tool do I need?

You can use the Mac OSX install disc to adjust/create the needed paritions for both, but in the end Linux will divide up the partition you create for it. Suggested strategy is to have one HFS+ partition for OSX to run on, one small [700Mb or 1 Gb] partition in HFS to transfer any data between the two OS [HFS+ support in Linux is currently *very* experimental!], and then set aside your 7 Gb for Linux. Once inside the Linux installer environment, there will be an opportunity to carve that space up into the stuff needed for Linux.

2. Regardless how question 1 is answerd: Are there "one-size-fits-all"-rules for partitioning (/boot, /swap, /usr etc.)? What are the "must-be"-partitions and do they fit for popular Linux distributions? Can someone give me a scheme that works in 90% of all the possible cases?

Yaboot [Linux bootloader] needs a small 800 Mb parition to load to. /boot can be very small. On my PC it is 26 Mb, I will have to check on the Pismo. It is also possible to simply have your /boot directories on the / (root) file system. Your / file system should have maybe 3 Gb. It actually needs much less, but you will probably download packages to install on this partition, so you'll need the headroom. Give the rest to you /home partition, as that is where you will store your data. Since /home is on a seperate partition, you can chnage your Linux distro w/o touching it.

3. I came across Yellow Dog and Mandrake distributions that seem to fit for my purposes, with a final decision still pending. Are there any recommendations for these? Others?

Both distros are fairly easy. And very corperate-feeling, as well as having strange licensing strategies which make them less-than-free. My personal inclination is against them, and towards something more free [as in freedom] such as Debian or Gentoo. These distros are more difficult to master, but in the process you will learn much more about how your computer *really* functions than with a distro which attempts in too many ways to imitate windo$e or aqua interfaces.

Also, both distros have very good documentation, especially about partitioning [use the Debian guide...] and other useful things.

One note: the Alsa drivers for Linux work fine with the built-in soundcard, provided you are using it for playback. Getting it to record in [espc. with Pure-Data] is extremely noisy and problematic. But you weren't seriously planning to use a built-in soundcard for pro-audio, were you? Get a firewire or other external card [watch out for USB!!!] for best results.

I have several links to others who have done similar installs, with lots of useful configuration info, on my othermachine, so write back if you'd like more info. If the list groans too much, we cantake the talk someplace else.

Good luck!
Derek

--
derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl