RE: [microsound] w/r/t silence

--- MDoherty@xxxxxxxx wrote:
>in my eyes silence itself is entirely relative to
>the context and was determined, in the end, by the
>intention of the composer, and the intention of the
>listener.

as i took it, silence was, in a way, a means of
recognizing, or determining, a balance of the elements
contained in it ...uninterupted except by the
listeners observing of them. this theory came alive
for me when walking around the german city of
mannheim, how the mostly machine sounds of the city
perfectly compliamented each other if you listened
intently enough. it was quite astonishing how
interwoven these perfectly ignorable aural patterns
were. that to me, was silence.

carl kruger