Re: [microsound] Silence But Louder

on 1/1/04 4:57 AM, precursor at precursor@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> What is the purpose of silence in music that has to be further explored or
> raised? how can it possibly make music better or more unique? reductionism?
> scientism? minimalism? , isn't there enough silence in most peoples
> souls/lives to ask for more of it? being clever, is not a substance or
> what..or is the blackhole that interesting?
> why not go to a monastery or outdoors or stop the cd and listen to something
> else ,like all the noise out of your window in nyc for all i care, if you
> prefer silence? or dig a little deeper in "your" music shop to find "your"
> quality piece of "music", im sure you haven't heard everything out their? or
> maybe take up a real instrument and really 'feel" what music is from a
> musicians point of view?
> To me it seems that those who are attracted to this in the first place,
> don't appreciate music to begin with and need silence to be removed in order
> to come back up with a fuller open minded view? or have outgrown music
> completely?
> maybe when we have nano-synths then we can further explore this?
> i understand silence in passages which have great effect sometimes, but an
> LP? give me a break.. what answer is there? there isn't one ,that's the
> answer..it only creates more dada or dudu....read on...
> "ANY MUSICAL INQUIRY IS VALID"---sounds to me like the future will be full
> of mindless unsubstantial crap, similar to what im debating over now? or are
> you just an anarchist with no cause?. or maybe the future of music isn't
> music?
> dont mean to be offensive or, but i dont see any ramifications in all this ,
> and ive tried hard to think it through, but ive read "silence" and maybe ive
> overlooked something, or lack the imagination a few possess and this just
> frustrates me, so if you care to enlighten a fellow microsounder in plain
> ghetto english, please do so, i did get a few years of high-school.

 I understand why this upsets you. It's perhaps similar to the level of
disinterest when someone talks about their summer vacation or their million
dollars . It's different when it's yours.

 You see; one can have one's own understanding of silence , one's own
silence ; one's own tone , if you will.

 It's the other side of the oscillation , the wave; or perhaps the center.
That's why it's sometimes called gold ; since it can help one to become a
multi-dimensional individual and more than an abstraction or a cartoon
character.