[microsound] [EVENT: SF,CA,USA] [Apr 23-24] Leif Inge's 9 Beet Stretch

Apologies as always for the self-promotion.

By the way, if you're going to come and might be able to lend a hand
for a few hours, please write me back directly... I need extra help
given the unusual hours of this event (in exchange for free admission
of course...) :)  Best regards -- aaron

--------------[ Quiet American presents at 964 Natoma ]----------------

Leif Inge's 9 Beet Stretch
Friday, April 23 ~ Saturday, April 24
Doors 9 pm ~ show lasts 24 hours
964 Natoma, San Francisco, CA (USA)

$10-15 requested sliding donation,
 no one turned away for lack of funds.

----> Event Description <----------------------------------------------

Take a twenty-four hour trip through the mind of Beethoven. Join us for
a once-in-a-lifetime all-night pajamas-please sleep-over concert-event
at 964 Natoma.

  'What a treat! I am utterly overpowered, or should I say uplifted,
  elevated, blown away towards soaring skies, riding away on a ray of
  Beethovenesque light between the clouds of summer.'
	-- Ingvar Nordin, Sonoloco Records Reviews

Sound artist and composer Leif Inge created '9 Beet Stretch' by using
digital tools to stretch a recording of Beethoven's Ninth Symphony so
that it takes twenty-four hours to unfold.

The result is a remarkable remaking of Beethoven as massive soundscape:
a piece in which familiar motifs develop twenty times more slowly than
we're used to, at times lovely, at times overwhelming.

It is the best-known symphony in the world transformed: transformed
into a dramatic and haunting and hypnotizing soundscape that passes
like clouds over a vast landscape.

  'The piece slows symphonic time so that movement is barely
  perceptible. What you hear in normal time as a happy Viennese melody
  lasting 5 or 10 seconds becomes minutes of slowly cascading
  overtones; a drumroll becomes a nightmarish avalanche. Yet the
  symphony remains somehow recognizable in spirit if not in form, its
  frozen strings fraught with tense, frowning Beethoven-ness.'
	-- Ben Sisario, The New York Times

Leif joins us from Norway to present the work, which starts on Friday
night and plays through until ten or so on Saturday evening.

Come either night. Come both nights. Stay for the whole event. Stay for
breakfast. Or just stop by for a little while Saturday afternoon. But
don't miss this unique chance to experience 9 Beet Stretch as it should
be heard: in good company, in comfort, in the Pillow Kingdom(tm).

  'Crawling across Beethoven's magnum opus with a microscope, so to
  speak with every note stretched out to 24 times its normal length,
  is frighteningly revealing... It provides hours of eerie ambient
  textures; it turns something wearyingly familiar into something you
  can barely recognize; and like Steve Reich's Come Out, Carl Stone's
  Shing Kee, and some other electroacoustic classics, it reveals
  acoustic truths you never suspected.'
	-- Kyle Gann, The Village Voice

Approximate times for the start of each movement (we may take small
breaks between each movement):

	1st movement: Friday 10 pm
	2nd movement: Saturday 3:45 am
	3rd movement: Saturday 7:15 am
	4th movement: Saturday 12:40 pm

The chorale will conclude around 10 pm on Saturday evening.

You can preview the piece online at www.notam02.no/9/

Reviews in the press:

  http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/11/arts/music/11HIGH.html
  http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0407/gann.php
  http://home.swipnet.se/sonoloco9/inge/9beetstretch.html

and the issue of the SF Weekly coming out Wed, Apr 21, see:

  http://www.sfweekly.com

----> Event Specifics <------------------------------------------------

Attendees are invited and encouraged to bring pajamas, pillows,
blankets, and (quiet, veggie) breakfast to share.

Note that alcohol will not be sold during the event, so you may want to
bring-your-own-bottle as well (we will have an honor-system table
available for sharing however).

Your admission is good for the entire event.

Seating, as always, is mostly on futons, beanbags, and pillows to
encourage comfortable deep listening. Drinks will be available on an
honor-system basis. Hopefully someone will make cookies and maybe a
little breakfast...

----> Venue Info <----------------------------------------------------

964 Natoma
San Francisco, CA, USA

Between Mission and Howard, 10th and 11th street, south of market.
A few blocks from Civic Center BART, or the corner of Market & Van
Ness. Bike parking inside!

This message is not for print distribution or advertising.
This is a private event for friends, family and our community.

About the series: http://www.fieldeffects.org
This information: http://www.quietamerican.org/9beet.html

Questions? Write ghede@xxxxxxxx