[microsound] field recording resources

Hi,

If you haven't found it, you may want to subscribe to the phonography
mailing list at Yahoo groups, see phonography.org as well. The group
focuses on the aesthetic appreciation of field recordings. The Nature
Recordists' list is very good (also Yahoo), but tends to focus on
professional level [ie quite expensive] gear -- and of course on nature
recording, eg for orinthologists, biologists, bird fanciers, etc.

FWIW I have a DIY section with information on microphone choice under
'resources/links' on my website. Also many hours of recordings to see if
you find my advice worth considering :); click the flag graphic and see
'field recordings.'

As you are in SF you might be interested in a concert series I host
dedicated to field-recording and found-sound based sound art:

 http://www.fieldeffects.org

As it happens we are hosting a show this weekend, but it's a bit of a
departure; it's Leif Inge's "9 beet stretch," a 24-hour timestretch of
Beethoven's Ninth, presented overnight:

  http://www.quietamerican.org/9beet.html

 best regards,
  aaron

PS the Nature Sound Society (based in Oakland) also has a mailing list;
they are hosting a field recording workshop on May 1. If you are
interested I can forward information. There's a field recording excursion
over the weekend of May 21-23.

PPS the Exploratorium is hosting a series called "Listen" this spring; the
June event I believe will be a panel discussion on use of field recordings
by artists and composers (among related topics).

  ghede@xxxxxxxx
  http://www.quietamerican.org