Re: [microsound] digitalstress

>> many engineers have now started to add noise to their mixes. this can
>> be plain noise or recorded tape noise fron analogue tape recorders.
>> this is to make digital mixes more listenable. there are even CD:s
>> available with noise you can add to your mix. I havent heard these but
>> I know many commercial mixers have always used noise actively in their
>> mixes to get a brigher overall sound.
>
> that's very interesting, would you perhaps be able to point out some good
> articles on that topic?

There's a more theoretical article in the Computer Music Journal. I think
it's the same issue as Kim's "Aesthetics of Failure" article. Kind of a
cultural studies take on noise in recordings in the age of digital audio.

Ah, heck, I might as well give an actual citation.

Link, S. "The Work of Reproduction in the Mechanical Aging of an Art:
Listening to Noise." _Computer Music Journal_, 25:1, pp. 34-47, Spring
2001.

Don't let the unimaginative Benjamin reference fool you: this is a very
good article.