Re: [microsound] faking skipping cd

From: zero zero-1

> with the ability to burn your own cds, and the ultimate true discovery of
what has
> been termed here as  'failure', why on earth would you bother????
>
> get a shitty cd player.  throw your cds on the ground.  EXPERIMENT for
gods
> sake!!  or for the sake of this
> ultra-compacting-find-ways-to-do-what-can-already-be-done aestheticly
boring
> way we all do things.....maybe burn your laptop.

With all due respect, a part of synthesising the sound of existing phenomena
(like violins, the human voice and skipping cd players) is understanding how
it is generated. Even if i have a human voice and a  mike around, i still
think it's workings are interesting and i still think trying to emulate it
through synthesis is worthwhile or at least eductional.

How does the cd player lose track, what does the error corection do? where
does that click come frome, why does it repeat in loops that stay the same
for a while, then go on to another loop that might have a different length?
Just because cds are cheap doesn't mean emulating a failing one isn't
interesting. I personally find trying to emulate existing sounds makes me
understand sound better and greatly increases my skill in creating sounds
for imaginary instruments. I too would be quite interested in a text that
would explain how to emulate this, even if I wouldn't dream of uing that
effect like that in a composition.

To be honest, i found your response to Lorenzo a bit rude. Perhaps you see
no value in emulation but that's no reason to imply Lorenzo isn't
experimenting.

yours,
Kas.