Re: [microsound] puff 'n stuff

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 09:50:54 +0100, Alex Young wrote:

> I'm still constantly frustrated when using Linux for audio work.  Since
> 2.6 was
> released, there's now preemptive multitasking, and I thought things
> like Jack
> would work much faster.  But my machine often drops frames when I use
> Ardour (http://ardour.org/) and Ardour often crashes.  My machine is a
> 1.1ghz
> Duron with 512MB RAM, it performs worse with audio software than my
> 800mhz G3.
>
> My point is, I think newbies could end up getting very frustrated unless
> they have an out of the box solution that will just let them get to
> work.  It may
> be best to find people on the list to try things like
> http://dynebolic.org/ (as
> John said) and produce a selection of tracks with details of how they
> achieved their results.  This may be a bit of a tall order, but when I
> started
> out hacking in Linux, HOWTOs were my best friend!

Linux cleary does many things much better than other OSs, however, in the
realm of sound that is not the case (simply a lack of support).
I've used Linux for years, but never for sound.  It is good to see rumblings
and some projects finally picking up speed.  It will be some time
before anything matures enough to be taken more seriously though.  As a base, Linux
is easlily more stable and capable than a MS based kernel, so it is simply a
matter of time before that capacity is tapped.  And of course, no sense in
mentioning that OSX is based on *nix.