[microsound] Re: microsound Digest 2 Apr 2004 09:36:52 -0000 Issue 1151

I see it more as evolving around owning property...that seems like an
American obsession, no? The car just solves the problem of getting from
your castle to wherever you need to go. I hate having a car, and I live
in the heart of Disney country, but it's necessary for me to get to
school 45 minutes away, or work 30 minutes away. None of that stops me
from seeking communication with like minded people, inside or outside;
regardless of the "scene" or whatever it is you want to call it. It's
your choice...

I think that this is a really critical point. I lived in cities for most of my life, and had little or no contact with the "fortress" attitude towards property ownership until I took a job as a gardener, which required me to venture out to far outlying suburbs and maintain some pretty bewildering castles. In conversations with their owners, I quickly found that many of them were positively ecstatic about the relative success of their quest for a situation that no longer required them to go anywhere or see (OR HEAR) anything on which they had not planned.

Whatever happened to "Microsound" anyways?  Is it now a dirty word?

Well, I'm relatively new to the list, but isn't this the point at which someone proposes a project? It might be interesting to see what form this takes, and many of us appear to have fairly strong feelings about it. Either way, let me know what you think.

Best,

Chris Madak