Re: [microsound] On promo

on 5/4/04 3:18 PM, Phil Thomson at philthom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Just a question: As a netlabel owner (www.centibel.org - Oops, was that a
> plug?), what would people prefer in terms of getting updates on new
> editions? Should I post those to the list even in light of recent
> complaints about the amount of SPAM, or should I start a private listserv
> for only those audio geeks who want to be in the know? Whatcha t'ink?
>
> Phil

Well, you're probably tried of what I t'ink. Well, i get tired of what I
t'ink as well , and I start t'inking different tots.

 Some individuals put out CDs in order to communicate; meaning they'd rather
express them selves through music than text and words.

on 5/4/04 6:52 PM, Steve Polta at stevepolta@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I happen to find promotional posts from list members
> who do not participate or constructively contribute in
> any other way really annoying (this opinion applicable
> to any list, not just this one). This is coming from a
> seldom-participating long-time lurker (with nothing to
> sell and no money to buy anything). Promos from
> active, constructive participants are more tolerable,

 I find the promotion annoying when It has nothing specifically intended for
the audience to which it is sent. On the other hand , not everything which
is annoying or requires very little effort is necessarily bad.

 Sometimes that which is good for me is incredibly annoying; like cooking ,
breathing , thinking.

 I DO like reading reviews, and I have discovered some truly inspiring and
enjoyable music recently through this list.

 I'd like to see more distribution , I'd like to listen to more amazing
CDr's and I'd like to discover or invent ways to make music available to
others the way it is available to me.

> and I'm more likely to check out something from
> someone I "know" than someone who is trying to market
> to me as a member of a group.

 I read you loud and clear.......however I'm also thinking that some work ,
by it's very nature and concept can't be marketed in a personalized and
'second guessing' , pandering sort of way. It's just sort of there in its
own terms , and liking or disliking it has little to do with its relevance
and/or stature.

 Something I find annoying is when there are promotional posts seemingly
without much regard for the genre. In a way the list is like a big classroom
or forum or some kind of quasi-civilized land where one may be bored out of
ones mind or really be intuitive find what is personally useful and go on to
accomplish great (or microscopic )things. It must be remembered that the
instigators of microsound aren't just inept pop musicians with the same
tactics of publicity toned down ( ok , we are inept pop musicians but don't
tell anyone , ok?).

 That being typed: though it is nice to have thoughts of being unsoiled or
undulled by commercial promotional tactics; most of us have been raised and
conditioned to having something good drawn to our attention repeatedly.
Often times it takes reiteration before I'll even notice something , or more
exactly ; to where something gains enough perspective in my perception to be
seen as interesting. Even if I like the person's work , even if they're my
favorite , often I won't look because there is something about the front
page of a website I find depressing , etc.

 Ok. Some tracks I'm really getting off on recently are the Andrey
Kiritchenko
Sidhartha    mp3s from retinascan
http://www.retinascan.de/compactdiscs/fcd08.htm

 another place I found stimulating is: http://www.microbiorecords.net

I especially liked the original "Lunar". Without the text about being
tropical and such I might have missed it: Heaven Forbid.

  this concludes the introductive promotional workshop advertisement for my
upcoming microsound homiletics tour,

         Bill