Re: [microsound] On promo

I must say that this position (below) is a really
peculiar take in this dicussion. While I agree with
the idea that a little (or a lot I guess) "challenge"
can be good for one, I have yet to be challenged in an
interesting way by an email in-box "overflowing" with
email I do not want to read. Obviously this is a
greater problem than any one email list (and kinda
small in the global hierarchy of problems) but my
initial opinion was based on my experiences on other
lists, of a wide variety of topics, which I have seen
devolve from forums (forii?) for interesting
discussion of ideas to bulletin boards for alienated
individuals spamming about product and events with no
give back (the noise overwhelms the signal, to put it
in those terms). And the result has been, at times, my
abandonement of the list. I know-big deal to you if I,
not the most active member, unsubscribe--the point is,
I *like* the discussions here and don't *want* to
unsubscribe.

I hardly ever look very deep into thee ads. But I very
frequently look at links contained within the
signatures of active participants.

As if I haven't gone on too long about this, one
solution one list I'm part of came up withis to use a
second list for event listings, keeping the main list
clear of this, consolidating announcements, and making
the emails more filterable.

(Oh, there's also the dread moment when the list
becomes a demogarphic to be marketed to by outsiders
rather than the grassroots thing we (or at least I)
like to pretend I'm engaging with...)

That's my opinion. Sorry to write so much on this.