Re: [microsound] Re: dyne::bolic

Hi all,

as I am about to give a Linux audio workshop using Dynebolic this week in Riga, I guess I can field this one...

Because it runs from your RAM, any live CD will never give you the performance of a real harddisk install of Linux. But Jaromil works *very* hard to make Dynebolic work as good as it can. I see it much more like a Swiss Army knife application than a fine-tuned audio setup, but it does do a lot, and I have been working with him to improve PD especially.

One thing that will give you DIO errors is that the blocksize and audiobuffer are set to small for your soundcard. This is a user-tunale setting, so type "pd --help" and see all the things you can fiddle with to get performance better.

You might also consider using the latest "Dyne:Trax" CD, which is "dockable" on your harddrive, to increase performance. Also, much of the software has been updated.

If PD is really what you are after, there is also a live Linux CD dedicated to PD. And it fits on a mini-CD!

I copy below an email on live CDs which I sent to the PD List a while ago.

best,
d.

---------------------------

To: pd-list@xxxxxx
Subject: Re: [PD] PD Knoppix [live CDs in a nutshell]

Since a few people asked on and off list, maybe I should explain this "live CD" concept...

A live CD is a Linux distribution that runs from the CDROM. Most live
CDs allow you to mount your existing harddrives and read/write from and
to them [although be careful wrting to NTFS!]. For people used to making
binary executables in Max, I find live CDs a much more open way of
distributing your work.

For people looking to try Linux, they are fantastic, as they don't
require a seperate partition. You can even use them to rescue data from
your harddrive when your Linux or "Evil Empire"[TM] OS crashes or gets
messed up.

Some live CDs even allow you to install them as working, hard-disk based
operating systems. Knoppix in particular is fairly good for this,
although you won't have a particularly optimized system...

Most live CDs are for PC architecture, and won't work on Macs. The
exception are the live CDs which Gentoo uses for starting any
installation, which are made for most major architectures and
processors, but often only have the most basic packages involved needed
for bootstrapping and installing Gentoo. I suppose these too could be
remastered. I am particularly interested in making PD live CDs for PPC
[Mac] architecture, so if anybody has any experience with remastering
Gentoo PPC live CDs, please contact me offlist!!!

The live PD CD I mentioned is based on Knoppix, which is a vey popular
live Linux CD. Others exist, such as the fabulous Dynebolic [includes
PD, soon to include PDP!!!], whose main audience is artists, teachers
and activists:

http://www.dynebolic.org/

Guenter Geiger also has a live CD using Knoppix and some of the
unofficial Debian/Agnula/DeMuDi packages:

http://devel.demudi.org/images/live/

Another live CD I haven't tried is MediaLinux @ OSL:

ftp://logx.it/mirrors/medialinux/

The official Knoppix CD can be found on their site, along with
instructions on how to "remaster" your own Knoppix CD using Debian packages:

http://www.knoppix.net/

And, of course, the PD Knoppix CD I originally posted lives here:

http://stream.sil.at/pdknoppix/

Good luck trying these out, and have fun ;-)
d.

mou, lips! wrote:
hello,
i saw several workshops about dynebolic, and i lsitened to a live set made with it... So i think you could try to write to dyne.org directly, or subscribe to the dyne mailing list and ask there.
ciao ciao
andrea
www.mou-lips.com

Anton Weiss Scrive:

hi, list
anybody here tried using dyne:bolic ( http://dynebolic.org/) for audio? I
tried it today - the description was so exciting, but on my system the
performance was more than disappointing - very poor graphics, some sound
apps just crashed at startup, others returned "error running application",
PD kept emitting a strange rattle saying "IO errors" (PD on windows runs
perfectly on my system). Is it my ignorance,is my system the problem, or is
dyne::bolic still too fresh and unstable?

-- derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl ---Oblique Strategy # 87: "Imagine the music as a moving chain or caterpillar"