Re: [microsound] Re: on working methods for live performance

With reference to the many prrevious postings on performance: I have  been to
many gigs over the years (since 1968). I think some of the dullest have  been
by so called traditional instrument player (I include electric) in the late
90s era: bands who look like they just left the office staring at their shoes
and producing a bland, easy listening genre based on some retro style or so
called "indie". I have also seen some very dull goth, punk, metal etc
performers  to whom the show has been all. As somebody pointed out earlier you can get
quite  excited by the sounds emanating from a guy on a laptop or a turntable
not doing  much (perhaps just waving a finger). However, it's got to be
fucking good and  certainly movies help. I feel it is also useful if the sounds are
referential to the space/time/ it is occurring in as someone said you can
always  listen to a record, otherwise. The visual may not be important sometimes
it's  just those extra individual touches that are put into the mix, in a way
that a  god Dj may do.
As for dancing, why not, who cares if it's done in the "right way" or not,
so what if it's cheesy! what is wrong with individual enjoyment (or effect if
you wish to lie on the floor). I am the sort of Dj who puts records on one
after  another, however each performance what I am currently into and juggling of
a  series of events in a varied and unpredictable order. I find that the
audience reaction (I've not been bottled off yet) (touch wood) is part of the
creative process as I've no idea how my train of thought will lead others to
behave.  Cheers Chrisb