Re: [microsound] synth toys

>> I'm looking for a small analog synth with a keyboard, lots of knobs and a
>> built-in speaker...battery and/or AC powered is ok...something like the
>> monophonic SH-101 but smaller...a kit is ok...something like the
>> Technosaurus Microcon II but with a keyboard would be perfect...
>> as I've not been following the synth hardware market for a long time I am
>> unaware of what strange little synth toys might be lurking about...anyone
>> recommend something?
>> thanks in advance!
>
> perhaps a yamaha cs-1? it uses sliders instead of knobs but that makes it
> very small and sturdy. can be batery powered, has a speaker, idealy suited
> for touring. best of all; it will do both noizes and synth lines. affordable
> too. in my experience it needs a compressor or a limiter when used live
> because tweaking the settings can cause huge volume changes but apart from
> that it sounds like exactly what you want.

I'll agree with Kassen suggestion of that model which is actually called a
CS01. It was a monophonic analog sold by Yamaha in 1982, for $275 or so and
can be found used for less these days. Tip : the later roman numeral II
units are supposed to have much improved resonance control. Yamaha's analog
swan song.

The EDP Wasp (UK 1978) has pretty much the above criteria but it's
definitely now if it ever wasnt  unroadworthy and goes for a collector
premium.

Very few units meet the criteria - I'll quickly mention some theories, see
for yourself from your recollections of other people on tours these days,
lots of knobbed USB controllers out there, nothing much that makes a sound
aside from vintage casio SK-1s and the occasional circuit bent unit of some
sort.  Below are a couple  partial criteria meeting choices I can think of-

I'm sure you know the Nord Modular keyboard. No speaker of course and not a
full set of knobs. That's something recently discontinued in favor of a
larger unit (that supports current operating systems, something that until
someone successfully completely reverse engineers the old Nord is going to
be a real issue unless you still use Win98  or OS9)

OK some contemporary stuff -

MFB
http://www.mfberlin.de/Produkte/Musikelektronik/musikelektronik.html
have several very small analog and semi analog synths. They use push buttons
instead of keys a la some of the small Rolands used to. I've use their drum
machine mounted as a tie clip at several shows.

Novation makes several virtual synths inside small keyboards with
controllers, the sonic character to me is very plastic but I'm sure if they
are used with that in mind music-wise they can be effective. They used to
make the BassStation, which was a very small bass oriented  synth keyboard
with controls.

The microkorg is somewhat popular but is pretty fake sounding and knob
limited

I think mainstream companies have proven with marketing that the inclusion
of a built in speaker tips too many in the huge semi-pro market off that the
unit in question isn't professional, then adding knobs instead of pushbutton
presets makes the unit much more expensive with the additional consideration
that the a knobs or sliders only interface is going to make it rough to sell
as the unit in the shop won't necessarily be making cool sounds unless it
has memories too, which by that time is going to price completely out of any
kind of entry or non-pro market.

The second factor is no one manufactures analogue keyboard mechanisms and
its' something no one can make in their basement. What larger small
companies do is buy MIDI keyboard mechanisms off Fatar in Italy, the only
company AFAIK that will sell OEM keyboard mechanisms. About half the big
companies buy their keyboards off Fatar too, but for a little guy that's big
enough to be able to deal with Fatar you can't just spec anything and get
it, the options are limited and of an analog synth the MIDI to CV converter
hardware to use it for an analog synth adds over well $50. The couple analog
keyboards out today as far as I've discovered all have MIDI keyboards and CV
converters inside. It's a much simpler proposition for a synth builder to
make the owner supply the keys themselves separately. A couple people I can
think of might be developing units that meet some of your criteria now but a
lot of these factors of meeting the needs of many users tend to push the
pricing up or feature set down enough that they no longer become practical.
And of course the allure of software, laptop and a knobbed USB controller
probably dwindles the market faster than it grows the market for an
alternative.