Re: [microsound] Mac vs PC (linux information)

> >>But, unfortunately, I still make music using windows since most of my work
> >>is made in a wave-editor, SoundForge, and I couldn't really find anything
> >>good as SF on Linux.
> >>I think the best I found is Rezound: http://rezound.sourceforge.net/
> >>But this is more a problem connected to my composition approach.
> >
> >Depending on your needs, and how much a slick-looking GUI is important to
> >you,
>
> Relative importance...
> I'd like to find something with a wide number of effects and processings
> like soundforge, that supports previewing and with a practical
> copy/cut/paste tool.

Too bad there is no professional audio tool for linux yet, afaik.
Rezound looks
pretty neat, just like Audacity, but it just doesn't provide the needs
of pro's.
E.g. you don't want to use it in a studio. Just like lovable PD it can
do a lot
but it isn't ready yet, PD's documentation is incomplete just like it's
functio-
nality. Developers spend most of the time getting it just to work. In
contrast
to commercial applications like Max/MSP. This is why serious musicians
and audio-
philes still use Windows and/or MacOS.
Another reason is that most hardware manufacturers provide drivers for
Windows
and Macintosh only. This means that with only linux you can't program
e.g. your
Roland synth or Nord Modular.
In this perspecive linux is like a decennium behind commercial
alternatives.

I myself am thinking of switching from Windows to linux permanently now
but this
is a choice everyone should make him/herself.

greetz,

Tjeerd
--
  Tjeerd Sietsma