Re: [microsound] Mac vs PC (linux information)[nord modular + roland]

Tjeerd,

I'm not picking on you, I promise! ;-)
It's just there was a lot of uninformed opinion in your post, and I'd like to set the record straight. As someone who is switching to Linux, I am sure you'll appreciate it as well...

Tjeerd Sietsma wrote:

This means that with only linux you can't program
e.g. your
Roland synth or Nord Modular.
In this perspecive linux is like a decennium behind commercial
alternatives.

Think again:

Welcome to nmEdit. This project attempts to create a open/free editor for the Clavia Nord Modular and Micro Modular synthesizers. Please note that this site and the whole project is still in developing stage.

On 2 December Clavia announced the following:
Despite earlier information, Clavia has today decided to stop the work of the software upgrade for the Nord Modular system. Instead, Clavia will focus its development resources on new projects.

And thus we (some people from the nord modular mailing list) decided to create and free/open source editor.
http://nmedit.sourceforge.net/

Coming soon to a Nord near you.

Or what about this:

nordqt is a open source editor for Clavia Nord Modular synthesizers. The development language is C++ and chosen UI toolkit is Qt. nordqt is being developed under Linux with Qt/X11 free. The license is GPL. http://www.iti.fi/kate/nordqt.php

Or this?

Notemidi is a device driver for MIDI output via the RS-232 serial port on notebook/laptop computers. Notemidi can be used with the MIDIator MS-124W interface, Roland Sound Canvas sound modules, or Yamaha MU-x series sound modules.
http://www.michaelminn.com/linux/notemidi

The Nord example is interesting because it is a team of open source developers *taking over* when a company decides not to develop software for its products anymore. I see this as an extremely interesting development/intervention into the commercial music software & hardware market. But the bottom line is that you really can't look us in the eye and tell us that it is not possible to use "professional" gear or software under Linux. That is simply a myth born of ignorance.

d.

--
derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl
---Oblique Strategy # 182: