Re: [microsound] data -> sound examples; subjectivity; pattern; rawness

on a tangent, i wonder if anybody here works with
using something like soundhack to gather data for
instrumental composition...

Gavin Stevens has posted on the databenders group about some piano pieces made by going bitmap -> WAV -> MIDI -> score...

forgetting (at least)
the subjective and relational dimensions that are involved.
-Thereby reducing the inherent quality?
More subjective process always equals better art?
better art strives or points towards the objective

Now we're getting somewhere :) To continue the pattern I will say "subjective." Or at least, this tendency strives towards the objective but the direction it's travelling reflects where it's coming from (the subject).

It maybe that this urge to
find unmediated sound structures ... is a
very contemporary form of reification

Could it also (or instead) be idealism, an interest in "pure" pattern or form, with a consciousness of the arbitrary / limited nature of any realisation? Once again we're getting into Western Art Music territory here. In microsound/etc I think any such urge tends to be balanced by the sensory pleasures of _feeling_ data, wherever it may come from.

On the possibility or not of "raw data", maybe "pattern" is a concept that would help - so pattern could be opposed to format - it's the abstract content of the data. Question is, does the data contain one or many patterns? If the answer is many, then any mapping, any format, any ordering or scanning, will produce _a_ pattern, and are they all equally valid (or raw)? If the data contains _one_ pattern, then how do we find the format / mapping that reveals it? Or do we have to listen to all possible formats/mappings, and get a kind of Gestalt pattern? I think again you end up with subjectivity, as in use value or applicaton. The pattern you're seeking depends on what you want to do with it, on what you're listening for...

In the Listening to the Mind Listening project it was amazing how may reviewers were impressed that sonifiers had successfully turned 36 channels of EEG/body trace into "music". Eureka! The brain, listening to music, sounds like music! It all depends what you're listening for.

Mitchell

Mitchell Whitelaw Visiting Advanced Audio Interfaces, CSIRO ICT Centre http://www.ce.canberra.edu.au/staff/mitchellwhitelaw