[microsound] data -> sound examples

Some blatant brain-picking to go with the OS discussions...

I'm doing some research on music and sound that (consciously or not) does "data sonification", turning non-sound data from whatever source, into sound/music. The recent microsound RNDTXT project is a great example; other people have posted about using unix to pipe data straight to the audio device... and there are a number of artists doing this kind of work (not all microsoundish), including Douglas Repetto, Andrea Polli, Bob Sturm, Mark Hansen / Ben Rubin (Listening Post), Jason Freeman (NAG - Gnutella Auraliser), and Andi Freeman's old Headbanger browser.

Can you think of any more? I'm especially interested in works coming from a more microsound / experimental electronica angle... I recall hearing something about Aphex Twin using an image -> sound processor at some point? Who else has travelled the "pure data" route?

"Data art" has been fashionable in net.art circles for a while now... and Lev Manovich has started writing his "info-aesthetics" project... but nobody much seems to be talking about the aesthetics of data.sound (correct me if I'm wrong)...

Thanks,

Mitchell
http://www.ce.canberra.edu.au/staff/mitchellwhitelaw