[microsound] Republican connotations of noise...

>From Bob Woodward's book: _Plan of Attack_ (Simon & Schuster: NY, 2004)

p. 95: "The president appreciated the imapct of Axis of Evil, as he
recalled later.  'It just kind of resonates.'  It was way above the
normal noise level. 'When I edited it, or when I went on the prompter, I
don't remember anybody saying, "By the way, Mr. President, when you say
axis of evil, you're fixin' to make headlines."  It was just one of
those phrases that caught."

p. 137: "Later the president praised Rumsfeld and Franks for this
strategy of moving troops in and expanding the infrastructure.  'It was,
in my judgement,' Bush said, 'a very smart recommendation by Don and
Tommy to put certain elements in place that could easily be removed and
didn't create a lot of noise and anxiety.  And were necessary for no
matter what the war plan eventually evolved into.'

p. 244: "'But particularly the death on the battlefield,' [Bush] went
on.  'And there is a direct correlation between her husband's decision
making and that death.  [Laura] knows that and she knows it's tough.
And she also fully anticipated the uproar, the noise, the protestation."

p. 257: 'Later, at 5:20pm, [Bush] met in the residence with Republican
leaders only, and was more candid.  'There's a good chance I'll have to
address the nation and commit troops to war.  It's clear Saddam Hussein
is not disarming.  I want the process to work before I ratchet up the
noise.'

p. 429: 'There was so much focus on the aftermath and criticism of the
postwar planning.  Cheney thought it wouldn't matter in the end.  It
would be noise to history as long as they were successful in what they
were trying to do.'

<tad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>