Re: [microsound] haunted weather

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 02:53:41 +0200, Murat Gunes <mgunes@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm aware that he's touching on phonography there but I wonder why exactly
> he thinks it's not a possible means of historical documentation and
> discuss his point with other readers if they are interested.

It's an interesting book, if strangely organized.  Toop is interested
in "soundmarks" in people's lives in the matter in which one might be
interested in "landmarks".  he's curious about how sound has served in
the emotional and psychological development of the person, and he's
curious to have people isolate the pivotal sounds that have been
formative in their development and memory.  he talks a lot about this
topic in the book and it's what he has in mind in discussing sound
documentation.