Re: [microsound] Linux Audio TWiki site

Phil Thomson wrote:

Yes, I think this list should be open-source audio, rather than Linux audio as such, since Dave Philips has the Linux audio thing pretty much
sewn up.

I also agree on this point. But then, we should be careful *how* we define open-source. I have seen some people go so far as to say that Max/MSP is open-source, because you can open up the patches ;-) If this is the case, it won't be long before someone says that Flash or MSWord are open-source too!

Of course, I am not a "license-cop", but I think a distinction should be made between things which have a partly open structure [like Max/MSP], but still contain "black boxes" where no one except the original programmers can go [precompiled binary objects, for example], and truely open codes/structures/works/etc which can be infinitely broken down to the most microscopic level, fully customized and rebuilt in totally new ways.

In general, the applications built under Linux are a good place to start because they are open-source in the truest sense of the word. Quite a few of them have been ported to other platforms, so I don't think people should feel left out. Also, while Dave Phillip's Linux Audio page is a terrific reference, people on this list will be more interested in some aspects than others. For example, I would rate spectral manipulation tools much higher than graphical music notation editors for most readers here. So, I think the added benefit of this page will be to see how people who make music which you might actually listen to work with the tools ;-)

Perhaps some links on the TWikki to microsound made mostly/only with open source tools would be a good thing, and could open up the discussion quite a bit beyond "it works for me" vs. "it doesn't work for me".

best,
d.

-- derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl ---Oblique Strategy # 76: "Give the game away"