Re: [microsound] merzbow

On Jul 7, 2004, at 11:17 AM, visa wrote:

Yeah, nice to see a Merzbow-resource of sorts. But surely that discography
contains only a fraction of his releases?

Those interested in Merzbow might want to check out this as well:
http://noiseweb.com/merzbow/disc.html

I'd be interested in hearing more Merzbow recommendations. I've been meaning
to pick up some of his releases for ages now, but still haven't purchased
anything. I've heard suggestions for at least Age of 369/Chant 2, Music for
Bondage Performance 1 & 2, Rainbow Electronics (2), Ecobondage,
Tauromachine, Batztoutai With Memorial Gadgets, Venereology, Noisembryo,
Greenwheels, The Prosperity of Vice, the Misfortune of Virtue, Grav, Amlux,
Door Open at 8 am, 1930 and Dharma. Bit difficult to pick.

Oh well, I guess I'll be starting with 1930 or Amlux...

I have 1930 and Amlux.. they're both good. One I would avoid until later is Merzbeat. It's really quite annoying. :-)

One thing I dislike in his computer work is the use of loops. The clicking of the noise loop at the beginning of Super Sheep on Amlux drives me batty. I honestly feel like when he moved to computers, he had a bit of "Wow, its so easy to loop stuff, I only have to have 1/4th the material!" Perhaps its just my bias against using loops in music talking though...

- John