Re: [microsound] General History of Computing

On 8/20/04 at 12:07 AM, Phil Thomson <philthom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a fairly comprehensive history of
> computing? I'd like it to be something of a reference book,
> and covering the development of electronic binary digital
> computing machines, as well as some words about their
> precursors (difference engine et al.) And it would be great if
> it were reasonably cheap or at least common enough to be found
> in a university or public library.
>
> And of course, any other book recommendations are welcome as
> well!

Phil-

You owe it to yourself to check out the IEEE journal, _Annals in the
History of Computing_.  I can't imagine that any college library
wouldn't have it, or more likely (and better) have it online via
IEEEexplore.

It's amazing.

I'd also put in a vote for Howard Rhiengold's _Tools for Thought_, which
covers a later period in the development of computers, but is a
wonderful book.

Best,

Tad

<tad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>