[microsound] McLUHAN AS MUSIC - acf/LA Salon - Sunday 08/29/04

American Composers Forum of Los Angeles
proudly presents a Special Salon:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
McLUHAN AS MUSIC

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

An interactive workshop with media scholar GERRY FIALKA

SPONTO GALLERY
7 Dudley Avenue (one block south of Rose Ave, just off the Boardwalk)
Venice, CA

310-306-7330.

Sunday, August 29, 2004, 2:00-5:00PM

$10 admission

Contact: Richard Zvonar 818-788-2202 or Gerry Fialka 310-306-7330

Music outsider Gerry Fialka will examine Marshall McLuhan's probe:
"Song is slowed-down speech. The reason cultures have different
musical tastes is ultimately connected to language difference" by
surveying the anti-hits of The Shaggs, Igor Stravinsky's Harvard
lectures (attempting to prove that music is an expression of itself
and nothing more), Korla Pandit's "Universal Language of Music"
philosophy, The Mothers Of Invention's employment of Sprechstimme,
Ornette Coleman's harmolodic theory, John Oswald's Plunderphonics,
and air molecule sculptures by Captain Beefheart, George Russell and
Sun Ra. "Music is the Mother art"-Frank Lloyd Wright. "The best music
does not want to be recorded" -Tom Waits. The participants will
employ McLuhan's Tetrad (four questions to uncover the hidden
environments and effects of human inventions) to explore the art of
composing music, and much more. With very special live music guests.

TETRAD:
1) What does music enhance or intensify?
2) What does music render obsolete?
3) What does music bring back that was previously obsolesced?
4) What does music become when pressed to an extreme, what does it flip into?

Gerry Fialka's interviews (with the likes of Horace Silver, George
Clinton, Jon Hendricks, Oscar Brown Jr., Paul Plimley and Annie Ross)
have been published in LA JAZZ SCENE, JAZZ NEWS, BIRD, and FLIPSIDE,
and have been heard on KPFK- LA's Pacifica radio station.

"Gerry Fialka is very special; sincere, well prepared and ready to
take risks - I learned things about my self! My kind of interviewer."
-Martin Perlich, author "The Art of the Interview". Perlich's
interviews have included Bill Evans, Pat Metheny, Sarah Vaughan,
Isaac Stern, Pierre Boulez, Andre Watts, Yo-Yo Ma among many others.

Gerry Fialka has hosted the Marshall McLuhan-Finnegans Wake Reading
Club since 1995. Visit: jesgrew.org/wake/

"Let us leave theories there and return to here's hear."
- James Joyce, FINNEGANS WAKE

In the film SPACE IS THE PLACE, Sun Ra travels in a rocket ship
propelled by music as fuel.

Jazz pioneer Jon Hendricks declared that Charlie Yardbird Parker
performs "the highest form of talking ever invented."

>From the journal RENASCENE, in words that echoed T.S. Eliot's
>definition of "auditory imagination," McLuhan's article treated
>"words not merely as signs but as things with a mysterious life of
>their own which could be controlled and released by establishing
>exact relationships, rhythmic and harmonic, with other words."

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com
http://RZCybernetics.com